The course is full. You can register for the waitlist.
24.-26.5.2021 9:00-12:00 online
This is what everyone should know about our HPC environment when launching jobs!
Are you planning on using CSCs services (Puhti, Mahti, Allas...) in near future? Have you been using these services already, but would like to make sure you are getting the most out of them? This intensive course is intended for you! (Please check the course prerequisites before registering -this is not Linux101 course)
This online course consisting of 3 half-day sessions focuses on using the CSC HPC environment, which has been tailored for researchers to be easy and efficient for scientific use. The CSC services (Puhti, Allas...) discussed in this course are free-of-charge for academic research, education and training purposes in Finnish higher education institutions and in state research institutes (subsidized by the Ministry of Education and Culture, Finland). The course price is 40€ (+VAT).
Before the course you need (see below in more detail):
- Basic unix skills
- CSC credentials
- Laptop with Zoom and ssh client
To help and make sure the course participants have these needed prerequisites & skills, we have created a small self-learning course / skill test in e-Lena: "New to command line? Test your skills!" (registration key will be e-mailed to the participants).
Please register and complete this prerequisite course before the actual course days! We have a lot of topics to cover and we cannot support login or very basic linux issues during the course.
- Basic unix skills are needed: how to move in the directories, copy and edit files - basic command line usage (ls, cp, cd, nano, more, cat, echo, mkdir, rm, tar ... ). If you're not familiar with these, you can prepare by going through the recommended material (below). If you are unsure of the level, please contact us! Here are some links for easy self-study:
- Linux command line and tutorials that you can do in your browser
- CSCs Linux1 course materials (check the materials links)
- UNIX tutorial for beginners (the first two topics are a good start, try also some editor)
- Basic Linux Commands 10 min tutorial video (sit back and watch)
- CSC Linux Cheat Sheet (one page summary of most important Linux commands and then some -handy to have near you during the course)
- Linux basics tutorial for CSC (Thorough guide including also topics covered in the course)
- Introduction to Linux tutorial videos (Chapters 4, 5)
- In case you do not have an account to CSC's services yet, please apply for it before the workshop; it is needed for the tutorials & exercises. Membership of a computing project with access to Puhti and Allas is recommended (FAQ: Do I have a project?)
3. A computer with Zoom and an ssh client (we recommend MobaXterm).
We will organise an support session on 18.5. 10:00-11:00, where you can get help if there are any problems with these steps.
Monday 24.5. 9:00-12:00
- Overview, connecting, disk areas, module system, batch jobs
Tuesday 25.5. 9:00-12:00
- Understanding batch job resource usage, Allas
Wednesday 26.5. 9:00-12:00
- Installing applications, a glimpse of containers and optimizing performance
(+ support session for accessing course materials and resources on 18.5. 10:00-11:00. Please note that we start the course assuming that you have succesfully logged in to Puhti at least once before the course -this session helps you in this first step on your way to the CSCs HPC world!)
After completing this course and self-studies, you should have the necessary knowledge needed to use the CSC HPC environment efficiently in different phases of your research projects, where to look for specific information and how to learn more.
The trainers: Maria Lehtivaara, Nino Runeberg, Ari-Matti Saren, Atte Sillanpää, Laxmana Yetukuri, Jan Åström, Kimmo Mattila
Course materials: Before the course you will get access to the course page in our e-lena e-learning platform, where the course material is located.