This course is canceled!
We thank you for the interest and recommend you take a look of the self-learning version!
The course content in the self learningn version is the same.
The course name was changed! Previously: "Using CSC HPC environment efficiently"
23.-25.3.2022 9:00-12:00 online
This is what everyone should know about our HPC environment when launching jobs!
Are you planning on using CSCs services (Puhti, Mahti, Allas...) in near future? Have you been using these services already, but would like to make sure you are getting the most out of them? This intensive course is intended for you! (Please check the course prerequisites before registering -this is not Linux101 course)
This online course consisting of 3 half-day sessions focuses on using the CSC HPC environment, which has been tailored for researchers to be easy and efficient for scientific use. The CSC services (Puhti, Allas...) discussed in this course are free-of-charge for academic research, education and training purposes in Finnish higher education institutions and in state research institutes (subsidized by the Ministry of Education and Culture, Finland). The course price is 40€ (+VAT).
Before the course you need (see below in more detail):
- Basic unix skills
- CSC credentials and computing project
- Laptop with Zoom (ssh client might be useful but not necessary)
- Go through the course materials beforehand
- To help and make sure the course participants have these needed prerequisite skills, we have created a small self-learning course in e-Lena
Participants are requested to watch the short lecture videos beforehand, and during the course we focus on the hands-on exercises and discussion. This gives you more time to reflect on the concepts so that you can use the course days more efficiently. The lectures are summarized and questions answered during the course.
We have a lot of topics to cover and we cannot support login or very basic linux issues during the course.
- Basic unix skills are needed: how to move in the directories, copy and edit files - basic command line usage (ls, cp, cd, nano, more, cat, echo, mkdir, rm, tar ... ). If you're not familiar with these, you can prepare by going through the recommended material (below). If you are unsure of the level, please contact us! Here are some links for easy self-study:
- Linux command line and tutorials that you can do in your browser
- Basic Linux Commands 10 min tutorial video (sit back and watch)
- CSC Linux Cheat Sheet (one page summary of most important Linux commands and then some -handy to have near you during the course)
- Linux basics tutorial for CSC (Thorough guide including also topics covered in the course)
- Introduction to Linux tutorial videos (Chapters 4, 5)
- In case you do not have an account to CSC's services yet, please apply for it before the course; it is needed for the tutorials & exercises. Membership of a computing project with access to Puhti and Allas is needed (FAQ: Do I have a project?)
3. A computer with Zoom. An ssh client (we recommend MobaXterm for Windows users) might be useful, but is not necessary.
We will organise an support session on 21.3. 13:00-14:00, where you can get help if there are any problems with these steps.
Wednesday 23.3. 9:00-12:00
- Overview, connecting, disk areas, module system, batch jobs
Thursday 24.3. 9:00-12:00
- Understanding batch job resource usage, installing applications
Friday 25.3. 9:00-12:00
- Allas, a glimpse of containers and optimizing performance
(+ support session for accessing course materials and resources on 21.3. 13:00-14:00. Please note that we start the course assuming that you have succesfully logged in to Puhti at least once before the course - this session helps you in this first step on your way to the CSCs HPC world!)
After completing this course and self-studies, you should have the necessary knowledge needed to use the CSC HPC environment efficiently in different phases of your research projects, where to look for specific information and how to learn more.
The trainers: Matias Jääskeläinen, Rasmus Kronberg, Maria Lehtivaara, Kimmo Mattila, Nino Runeberg, Ari-Matti Saren, Atte Sillanpää, Laxmana Yetukuri, Jan Åström