The aim of this workshop is to discuss the CSC computing environment possibilities for processing point cloud data and to encourage the exchange of experiences and ideas among point cloud researchers in Finland. This will also give us at CSC the opportunity to learn about user needs.
The main CSC computing services for spatial data analysis are Puhti supercomputer and cPouta cloud.
Currently available tools for point cloud analysis in Puhti are: GRASS, LasTools, MATLAB, Orfeo ToolBox, PCL, PDAL, QGIS, SagaGIS, WhiteboxTools. Additionally R and Python have both pre-installed point cloud analysis libraries included.
Preliminary schedule of the workshop:
- Introduction round of workshop participants presenting themselves
- Introduction to CSC computing environments and point cloud data and software available at CSC supercomputer Puhti (Kylli Ek, Samantha Wittke / CSC), 20-30 min
- Research project presentations, 10-15 min each
- Matlab and Puhti as tools for processing terrestrial laser scanning data (Tuomas Yrttimaa / UEF)
- Optical sensing and 4D modelling of plant ecophysiological traits (Jon Atherton / University of Helsinki)
- Experiences with PCLpy on Puhti (Jiri Pyörälä / University of Helsinki, NLS/FGI)
- Constructing forest trees from laser scanning points - automatized analyses using Matlab and R (Timo Pitkänen / LUKE)
- Using Agisoft Metashape in cPouta virtual machine (Ville Tuominen / LUKE)
- (If somebody would like to present their work, there would be time for a few extra presentations.)
13:45-15:30 Discussion about tools, data and good practices of point cloud analysis in CSC computing environment.
The idea is to concentrate on the technical side of point cloud research - how the analysis was done, what tools were used, challenges that were faced.
The only prerequisite for participation is to have some understanding of using point clouds for research. Previous experience of using CSC services in not mandatory, but of course can be helpful. We want this to be an open and welcoming event, there are no stupid questions.
Please note that this is a meeting for discussion, not a course with ready materials.
The workshop is open and free of charge to everyone interested in point cloud research and using CSC resources for it. Registration is recommended for organizational purposes.
Zoom link for participation: https://cscfi.zoom.us/j/69457515146
8.2.2022 12:00 +02:00 EET
8.2.2022 16:00 +02:00 EET