This course teaches you how to do different GIS-related tasks in Python programming language. Each lesson is a tutorial with specific topic(s) where the aim is to learn how to solve common GIS-related problems and tasks using Python tools. In the lessons we use only publicly available data which can be used and downloaded by anyone anywhere. The course is based on Helsinki University's course Automating GIS processes. We will be useing open-source Python packages, not ArcPy (used in ArcGIS).
Topics of the course
- GIS in Python; Spatial Data Model, Geometric Objects, Shapely
- Working with (Geo)DataFrames
- Geocoding and spatial queries
- Geometric operations, reclassifying data
- Visualization, static and interactive maps
- Raster data processing in Python
- Running Python scripts on CSC's Puhti supercomputer
- Håvard Aagesen (University of Helsinki)
- Samantha Wittke (CSC)
- Kylli Ek (CSC)
- Basics of geoinformatics.
- Basic use of Python, no earlier experience with Python GIS packages is needed.
If you need to refresh your Python skills you can go through the materials of GeoPython course.
Day 1, Monday 7.3.2022
|9:00-10:30||Lesson 1: GIS in Python; Spatial Data Model, Geometric Objects, Shapely|
|10:45-12:15||Lesson 1 continues|
|13:00-14:30||Lesson 2: Working with (Geo)DataFrames|
|14:45-16:15||Lesson 2 continues|
Day 2, Tuesday 8.3.2022
|9:00-10:30||Lesson 3: Geocoding and spatial queries|
|10:45-12:15||Lesson 3 continues|
|13:00-13:15||Running Python scripts on CSC's Puhti supercluster|
|13:15-14:30||Lesson 4: Geometric operations, reclassifying data|
|14:45-16:15||Lesson 4 continues|
Day 3, Wednesday 9.3.2022
|9:00-10:30||Lesson 5: Visualization, static and interactive maps|
|10:45-12:15||Lesson 5 continues|
|13:00-14:30||Lesson 6: Raster data processing in Python|
|14:45-16:15||Lesson 6 continues|
Day 4, Thursday 10.3.2022
Optional for course participants, open to everybody. Zoom link for Thursday will be published here latest 8.3.2022.
|12:30-13:30||Lesson 7: Running Python code in CSC's Puhti supercomputer|
|13:45-15:15||Lesson 7 continues with hands-on exercise|
We'll use CSC Notebooks with JupyterLab for exercises during Days 1-3 and Puhti web interface for Day 4, no local installations are needed.
- EUR 180 (+24% VAT) for Finnish Universities or institutions for higher education & Finnish state research institutions or government organizations
- EUR 840 (+24% VAT) for Other
Registration deadline: 1.3.2022
Payment can be made with electronic invoicing, credit card, or direct bank transfer. Note that for electronic invoicing you need the operator and e-invoicing address (OVT code) of your organization. Please also note that invoice reference is needed for electronic invoicing in your organization, so please have this available when registering.
7.3.2022 09:00 +02:00 EET
10.3.2022 16:00 +02:00 EET