The aim of the course is to familiarize participants with spatial analysis with R.
Course lecturer: Marko Kallio (Aalto University).
Topics of the course:
- Handling and plotting vector data in R
- Spatial operations (intersection, clipping, conversions etc)
- Spatial analysis of vector data (clustering, density surfaces, autocorrelation)
- Visualizing spatial data
- Raster basics with R
- Raster data manipulation
- Map algebra
- Spatial modelling with raster data
The course consists of a flexible combination of lectures, demos and exercises with an emphasis on hands-on experience.
- Basics of geoinformatics and geostatistics
- Basic use of R, no earlier experience with R spatial packages is needed. For self-study Data analysis with R course material can be used.
This course is similar to the Spatial data analysis with R courses in 2019,2020 and 2021 at CSC.
Course materials will be available in Github (currently materials of 2021, minor updates to still to be expected).
9:00-10:30 Handling and plotting vector data in R
10:45-12:00 Handling and plotting cont.
13:00-14:30 Spatial operations (intersection, clipping, conversions etc)
14:45-16:00 Spatial operations cont.
9:00-10:30 Spatial analysis of vector data (clustering, density surfaces, autocorrelation)
10:45-12:00 Spatial analysis cont.
13:00-14:15 Visualizing spatial data
14:30-16:00 Raster basics with R
9:00-10:30 Raster data manipulation
10:45-12:00 Map algebra
13:00-14:30 Spatial modelling with raster data
14:45-15:30 Intro Spatio-Temporal Asset Catalogs (STAC) and how to use them from R. Kylli Ek (CSC)
15:30-16:00 Mini-intro to possibilities of using R in CSC's supercomputer Puhti. Samantha Wittke (CSC)
We will have coffee breaks during morning and afternoon sessions. Participants at CSC are provided lunch and refreshments during coffee breaks.
We will use CSC notebooks service for running RStudio in the webbrowser, no installations on own computer required.
Participants at CSC
The course is organized in CSC training class room, where everybody has access to a training PC. It is possible to use own laptop, but bigger screen is helpful for the course.
- Zoom, Zoom browser version should be enough.
- Web browser.
Big screen or two screens are helpful also for online participation.
- Finnish University or institution of higher education: 223,20€ (incl. VAT 24%)
- Finnish state research institutions or government organizations: 223,20€ (incl. VAT 24%)
- Other: 1041,60€ (incl. VAT 24%)
10.5.2023 09:00 +03:00 EEST
12.5.2023 16:00 +03:00 EEST
CSC Training Facilities / Zoom