Geocomputing in Puhti supercomputer
This half-day workshop is meant for GIS users interested in starting to use Puhti. It is an additional session to the “Using CSC HPC environment efficiently” course on 7-8.4.2021.*
Puhti is a high-performance supercomputer, which enables doing analysis that is impossible for a normal laptop. Puhti can provide more CPU/GPU power, memory and/or storage capacity. On Puhti the most common use case for a GIS-user is to run R or Python scripts, or to use some command-line tools. The aim is to learn how to use Puhti for spatial analysis. This workshop mainly includes hands-on exercises and discussion.
Before this workshop the participants should:
- Watch the Geocomputing in Puhti webinar and
- Attend the “Using CSC HPC environment efficiently” course*.
- Know how to use R, Python or command-line tools for spatial analysis
* Please note: The prerequisite "Using CSC HPC environment efficiently course" is already fully booked and it is not possible to register to it. We arrange an additional seats for Geocomputing in Puhti participants to CSC HPC course, so just register to the Geocomputing course.
The exercises will include how to:
- Run R scripts, also on several cores.
- Run Python scripts, also on several cores.
- Run bash scripts, for example with GDAL commands.
- Use QGIS with NoMachine.
- The exercises will be similar to our
2019 Geocomputing course
The workshop takes place 09:00-12:00.
Technical requirements for participant local computers:
- Zoom, link will be sent to registered participants
- For working with Puhti:
- Tool for ssh connections (Mobaterm/Putty in Windows, normal terminal in Mac and Linux)
- Tool for moving files: WinSCP, Filezilla. Or if moving files with scp is not familiar for you, then nothing special in Mac/Linux.
- NoMachine for GUI connections to Puhti
9.4.2021 09:00 +03:00 EEST
9.4.2021 12:00 +03:00 EEST